.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~Robert Frost
Thursday, August 4, 2011
Small Town Tour - Part 2
As a continuation of yesterday's post about my west/central Texas adventures , I will present you with Brownwood....
Ya know, after driving through a million little Texas towns lately, I think I might start a coffee table book of small town post offices. They are all different and they all tell the story of their town. Hmmmmm.......
In Brownwood, we found a very pretty institution of higher learning - Howard Payne University!
The gate into the school was gorgeous!
And in stark contrast, we also saw this little ammo shop in the deserted old downtown area........
It is still in business! Can you believe it?!
It is a relic from days gone by, but it's still hanging on......how much do you want to bet that it is the same/original owner that still works there today??
I think we were there on a Sunday, so they were closed.
That is so cute - they are open M-F 10am-3pm. It says they are closed on Saturdays and it doesn't even mention Sundays, so you KNOW you're in a little town!
This is the courthouse in another little town that I can't remember the name of - such beautiful architecture back then.....
And look at this little Chamber of Commerce building for Mills County!
It used to be the jail back in the day........built in 1888.
There's even still bars on the windows!
It's really sad to go to the little original downtown areas of these small towns - some have been revitalized, but a lot of them look like this...........
I loved this sign......right in between the US and Texas flags.....and the burn ban is definitely in effect - we are going on 30-something days of 100+ heat with NO RAIN. It's very bad.....
I love that they are patriotic and alternated messages from the burn ban to THIS...
The south is known for pecans and slower living, but business and modern commerce are what they are......pecans.com!
And as evening fell, we saw this cool bank building in Hico, Texas. LOVE IT.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment