.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~Robert Frost

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

School Days

Labor Day/end of summer is a time of year that brings back good memories for me. I suppose as a kid, it wasn't as endearing, but it is now - school supply time! I'm sure when I was a kid, I started to get anxious about school starting, new teachers, scary subjects, etc.......but now I just get to revel in the good memories about all of the fun stuff!

For some reason, I am obsessed with school supplies and office supplies - they are just so fun and bring joy to my pathetic little world. :( haha All of the folders, notebooks, pens, erasers, glue sticks, etc.

Oh, and we couldn't forget Crayola crayons! You knew you were SOMEBODY when you had the 64-pack with the built-in sharpener. I can just smell the fantastic aroma of a box of crayons......

Sometimes I just wish I had kids so that I would have a good excuse to color in coloring books and play with markers, colored pencils, and construction paper. So to put that love to good use, my co-workers and I adopted some underprivileged students and bought all of their beginning of the year supplies for them (part of a backpack program at work). We had a blast!

Anyone else remember desks like this? Where you lifted up the desktop and stored your fantastic supplies inside? And you could spin in the chair?

When I was shopping with my work friends for school supplies, the lists we were given just asked for "glue" or "glue sticks" - not PASTE. I was HIGHLY disappointed, as I love the smell of paste and it brings back so many fond memories. Office Depot didn't even SELL paste - WHAT?! Not acceptable, if you ask me.

Or how about these lunchboxes? I didn't have a Pac-Man one, but I think I probably had Strawberry Shortcake or Care Bears or something. But they were metal with a plastic thermos inside. AWESOMENESS.

Oh, and who could forget the hard cardboard pencil boxes? I always loved mine and had it all organized like a total geek.

Whether I ever have kids or not, I will always love this time of year - and I can help kids in need by indulging my obsession of shopping for school supplies!

1 comment:

Michelle Benson said...

I am on office/school supply geek too! Can't get enough of them. Post-it Notes, colored markers, and pens that write in different colors too! OMG!