.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~Robert Frost

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Thankful Thursday

A while back (maybe 2 months ago), I started walking/jogging very regularly and at a pretty high intensity. This is good, right? RIGHT. However, I started developing some major pain in my right foot - on the inside of my heel, where it starts to arch into the foot.

I thought it would go away on its own, but it became apparent that it was only getting worse. And then about a month ago, April, Cindy and I did a 5K in Dallas. I made it through the 5K OK, but the next day I was basically limping and in MAJOR pain. Finally this month I decided to go to a doctor that my regular doctor recommended.

It's a therapy called AIRROSTI (Applied Integration for the Rapid Recovery of Soft Tissue Injuries). He diagnosed me with a foot strain and used basically deep tissue massage techniques on my foot and calf. It hurt TREMENDOUSLY. I could describe it as a cross between deep tissue massage and chiropractic adjustments. But they also did some physical therapy too and gave me PT homework to do each day.

After the treatment, they do what is called "strapping" - they put this weird tape on the treated areas and I guess it's supposed to increase blood flow to the area. You keep the tape on for 3-4 days until your next treatment. Below is an example of the weird formations of tape that you can have. Mine looks similar....

I just finished my 2nd treatment (of 3) and it's starting to feel a lot better! So to make a long story short, I'm thankful this week for Dr. Bertrand and AIRROSTI!! It's very painful during the procedure, but it seems to be working to reduce my intense foot pain! It was either that or buying a "Little Rascal" to ride around in!

No comments: