.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~Robert Frost

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

OVER Serviced

OK, I haven't done a pet-peeve post in a long time, so I'm getting on my soapbox today......bear with me...

This 'issue' that I am going to complain about is something that has bugged me for a long time, but seems to have gotten worse lately. When you are in a restaurant, typically you are there to talk to other people you are with and enjoy their company, right? OK, well then when you get an attentive, great server at your table, you are glad, right? OK good - we're on the same page.

Here's where it derails for me.....

When you are sitting across the table from someone, carrying on a somewhat deep/involved conversation and no less than 3 different staff members come up to your table to ask how everything is. Now I know, too much service is a stupid thing to complain about and I would normally agree with you. Everyone has experienced bad service and a disappearing server - it's terrible.

But I'm serious - when did restaurant management start making the rounds on a stalker/clingy basis??? I have a server, I don't really need you to fly by in your polo shirt or shirt/tie and very formally ask us the same questions our server just asked us. Yes, we're FINE, for the 150th time. Our glasses are full, we are actively eating our food and we were just asked how we were doing by our server no less than 3 minutes ago. GO AWAY. I'm not interested in having a deep conversation with you, I don't need you kissing my butt and no, for the 150th time, I don't need more water in my 3/4 full water glass!! UGH!

This is probably a super dumb thing to complain about and especially blog about, but it was on my mind and it has been happening a LOT lately at all different restaurants. What gives?! Sometimes LESS is MORE!

No comments: