.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~Robert Frost

Monday, April 4, 2011

On My Own

Recently, I was at home one evening and the sewing bug got me and I decided to try a solo project all on my own! I have taken two sewing classes so far, but have never done any projects with the sewing machine without a teacher present, so I was kind of nervous, but I decided to go for it.

I really wanted something to put on top of my Grandma Larsen's cedar chest (filled with family items - lots of heritage and nostalgia in there) that would be pretty and have the "L" for Larsen on it. I found an embroidered applique of an "L" and then a frame-type applique for around it. This was a while ago, but I have been meaning to put something together.

I took some extra material from the curtain fabric in the office and sewed basically a pillowcase (with the yellow curtain fabric from the guest room on the back) and then put the applique on top.

I think that the colors worked out really well (the office is yellow, the curtain fabric is brick red with yellow swirls, and then the appliques were yellow)!

It is definitely a simple project, which I needed in order to increase my confidence with the sewing machine. The project isn't perfect, but it's all mine and I did it all by myself! I'm like a kindergartner who colored within the lines for the first time!

As you can see, the right side of it goes down at an angle - I need to learn how to cut straighter lines! Haha - oh well, I love it - even with its imperfections.

No comments: