.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~Robert Frost

Monday, March 21, 2011

Studyin' Up - Austin Style

A couple weeks ago, I went to Austin for a short weekend trip. This satisfied one of the things on my 33-list and I have been meaning to check out Austin since I moved here 3 years ago! Like usual, I packed a LOT into the 1.5 day agenda and the trip was a success!

First up - The Bob Bullock Texas State History Museum. It is located near the Capitol and right next to the University of Texas at Austin.

I thought it was a GORGEOUS building - inside and out. I had a mild obsession with the big star outside the front entrance!

I'm right underneath the star in this picture, but you can hardly see me....

This is the main lobby - all shiny marble floors and absolutely beautiful!

Now THAT is a pretty map of Texas on the floor in the lobby!!

Well said, Sam Houston, well said.........

Even the carpet in the museum part has "Texases" in it!

The tables in the cafe were Texified as well - LOVE THEM.

This super cool neon light used to be a staple on a very old theater, and now it has been restored and lives in the museum for everyone to enjoy!

I just couldn't stop thinking how good it would look on the side of my house......but then I thought that it might look like my house was the 'red light district'......no bueno......

They did a cute little recreation of the Alamo with a movie theater inside, showing the story of the Alamo - and outside in the concrete around the facade, they even had weapons cured in the concrete!

This is the original 'goddess' that stood atop the Capitol building (but she got too weathered, so they took her down and put a new weather-proof one up there). I'm going to just be honest, she is NOT attractive!

Here's an article about this original goddess - from 1888!!

I thought these unique spurs were pretty neat - some are very ornate and very big!

Look at the detail on the spurs!

Is this the cutest little cowboy (or vaquero) you have ever seen?!

The fancy outfits were amazing........

More Austin fun tomorrow!

No comments: