.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~Robert Frost

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Grand Central

One of the prettiest places we visited on our trip to New York was Grand Central Terminal.

I always thought it was Grand Central Station, but I guess it's technically a "Terminal" because if it's at the end of a line, it's a "Terminal" and if there are trains going to it and from it (through) it, then it's a "Station". So, since this one is at the end of the line, then it's a Terminal.

No matter what it is, it is magnificent!

I loved these fancy track signs - definitely fancier than the ones in Europe!

And to think, people were trying to get this building torn down a while back......that would've been such a shame.....

You can't see it in my pictures (because it's so small and near the ceiling), but I guess this terminal was in such disrepair back in the day (probably when they were trying to have it torn down), that the ceiling/walls were BLACK and DIRTY.

To show the difference between THEN and NOW, they left one tile that black color and cleaned up the rest. We could see it in person, but you can't see it in the pictures. It was in that curve up above the windows (see below).

I just love this old ticket window!!

Just gorgeous inside there - a real gem full of rich history!

And in the basement, they have all kinds of restaurants to eat at. Mayce and the others got pizza and I wanted to try New York pizza, so here's me taking a bite of Mayce's....

And here's Mayce, David and Cody eating away....

And by a native New Yorker's recommendation, I just had to get a black-and-white cookie! We saw them the very first day and I ate one - they are delicious!

And then we came back above ground.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I want to visit New York too. Your pictures have been amazing. I'm so jealous!