.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~Robert Frost

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Shoppin' On 5th Ave!

OK, now for the swanky shopping post - 5th Avenue! It was super cold and rainy, but we braved the weather just to window shop at stores we don't have a prayer of affording. Oh well - we had fun anyway...

Here's the famous Saks 5th Avenue - and it's actually the 5th Avenue store!

The kids on the tour really liked this one - FAO Schwartz. It was huge, bright and a kid's dream.

Mayce really liked this part - The Big Piano. Little kids were running up and down the piano playing songs (or really just making lots of noise). Apparently this piano was in the movie "Big" with Tom Hanks. I can hardly remember the movie, so it didn't really have any significance to me, but it WAS cool.

And of course, we HAD to go into Tiffany's...

It had 4 or 5 floors in this store! The jewelry was beautiful, and they also had a floor of china and dishes, vases and everything you could imagine. They even have men in suits in the elevators that ask you what floor you want and then they take you there and announce what is on that floor.

Next stop - Trump Towers!

The bellman guy was in tails!

This is the lobby of Trump Tower and this is where they film The Apprentice.

No sightings of The Donald, though.....

The Trump Bar - I wonder how much a drink in there costs???

And at their gift shop, T-shirts for sale.........

We never intended to get a cab on 5th Avenue, but once we got to the end of the shopping area, the rain and wind really picked up and we only had about 15 minutes to get back to Rockefeller Center to get back on our tour bus, sooooo.......

We hailed a cab! I never realized that I would be so excited to be riding in a NYC cab until we were in there! For some reason, it was super fun and our cab driver was super nice and talkative - not something I expected.

We didn't have far to go, but it was thrilling to be riding in a cab down 5th Avenue! And it wasn't expensive at all - only $5!

5 comments:

Iris Took said...

1) LOVE your red coat!

2) It is hilarious to me that you cannot remember the movie BIG.

3) How fun would it have been to have seen the DONALD?

4) I absolutely love that you are posting about your trip in organized sections!!!

Unknown said...

how can you not remember the movie Big!? They played Chopsticks

All Things Red said...

1) Thank you!

2) I can't remember movies that I saw a month ago, so BIG was just a vague recollection!

3) I wouldn't have been able to resist messing up The Donald's hair if I actually saw him!!

4) Of course - I'm way too anal retentive NOT to organize the posts....heehee!

Iris Took said...

Thank you, Chris - you need to rent some movies and educate Extreme Lauri.

HAHAHAHHA! I could quote you the ENTIRE movie if you would like. Although it may be funnier if you just watched it.

Here are some lines to jog your memory:
PORK RINDS - AUGGGGGHHH!!!

Hey, Angel....get outta that bathroom!

St. James Josh, it's religious.

Iris Took said...

A HUNDRED AND EIGHTY SEVEN DOLLARS?!?!?!? HA! HA!

They really screw ya, don't they??


Ok, I'll stop now! You know me!