.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~Robert Frost

Monday, March 29, 2010

Be There Or Be SQUARE

As good tourists, we spent a lot of time in Times Square - the flashy, stereotypical "New York" experience! My first impression was that it was bustling and busy, but also SUPER BRIGHT. The lights from all of the different screens is crazy!

One thing that Christina told us was that tthis past New Year's was the first year that they left up the "ball" that drops each year in Times Square. We walked by it a bunch of times before she told us that - I never would've noticed it if she hadn't mentioned it! See below....

There it is! I guess now it will stay up year-round.

I think a person could honestly get a seizure just looking at everything - I'm surprised that there aren't more pedestrian deaths in this area since people are looking around and up at the buildings and NOT looking where they are walking!

One other observation - there is NOWHERE to sit down in Times Square or that whole area. One day, we had free time in Times Square and were done looking around, so we wanted to sit down and rest for a little bit, but we couldn't find a place to do so! We finally found a McDonald's...not even Starbucks had seating!

While in Times Square, we visited the M&M World store. I have never seen so many products dedicated solely to one brand before! It was insane!

They had this huge wall of M&M dispensing machines with M&M's of every color you could possibly imagine.....(see below)

The only catch: they costed $12.00/pound! WHAT?! I know they are cool colors that no one has seen before, but REALLY?!

We ended up in Times Square at least once a day because all of the Broadway shows are in/around Times Square, so we were there by default.

It was so exciting - during the middle of the day or when we got out of the shows at 11 at night - that place was PACKED and full of lights and activity - simply AMAZING!

We had dinner at Planet Hollywood one of the nights (I know, I know - going east to New York, just to eat at Planet HOLLYWOOD - lame!) and here are Mayce and I right before West Side Story:

And here's Mayce's brother David (left), Cody (middle), and Mayce's Mom Terrye (right) at Planet Hollywood. It was such a good group to travel with - great fun!

No comments: