
About a week ago, I went to the Nasher Sculpture Center for a tour with the alumnae chapter of my college sorority (Sigma Sigma Sigma). It was an absolutely gorgeous fall day in downtown Dallas and we had a great tour guide!

Some of the tour was inside and some was outside, but it included all kinds of sculptures as well as scale models of incredible feats of architecture all over the world (i.e. the Beijing airport).


This sculpture (or series of sculptures) was done by a Polish woman who grew up during WWII and the Communist era. It was both disturbing and interesting at the same time. I guess she purposely didn't put the 'people' on pedestals or 'stands' because they were all supposed to look the same and no one is different from the others and they are all to be equal. Huh......sounds like the direction OUR country is going......but I digress...

It was landscaped beautifully and there were so many cool types of trees and fountains - I could've sat out there and read a book all day!


Everything was soooooo green and well-maintained! But I suppose it WOULD look like that when it rains for about 2 months straight this fall.....lol

And there was this big weeping willow tree there - it reminded me of home because our next door neighbor had a huge one in the backyard. Good memories!

Our docent said that sometimes sculptors will actually push their finger into the clay or soft material as a 'finishing touch' when they are done with a sculpture and we asked why.....it's so that no one could claim their work of art as their own - prevents 'plagiarism' of sculptures. Their fingerprint would be permanently in the piece of art! This sculpture below has the fingerprint in it. So cool!

I thought this one looked like an internal organ or something - very neat.

This is our group 'following the leader' on our tour.....

I loved this one - it's to symbolize "reaching for the sky." It's literally a huge pipe thingy sticking up in the air with people walking up it with no end in sight. Cool!


Even the street outside the sculpture center (and the Dallas Museum of Art) was landscaped beautifully - nice job, Big D!
1 comment:
This is my kind of art. It looks cool, and there isn't a big, long story to read that goes with it.
Post a Comment