.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~Robert Frost

Monday, June 13, 2011

Mansions On The Beach

On our vacation to Charleston, SC, Lindsay and I toured a beautiful mansion on East Battery - overlooking Charleston harbor. It is the Edmondston-Alston house and it was built in 1825.

Here she is in all her glory!

The front entranceway was gorgeous, of course - all of the front doors of these mansions were just amazing.

This was taken from the 2nd floor balcony down into their cute little front garden. Adorable!

This is the view from their 2nd floor balcony....

Fort Sumter is straight out from the front of the house. AMAZING. The Civil War LITERALLY started right out their front door! We were able to stand in the room (and in the window) where General P.T. Beauregard watched the fierce bombardment of Fort Sumter on April 12, 1861 - signaling the start of the Civil War. And on December 11th of the same year, the house gave refuge to General Robert E. Lee the night a wide-spreading fire threatened his safety in a Charleston hotel. WILD!

And in stereotypical southern style, there was a big magnolia tree right next to the house....

Here's the proof!

This is the 2nd floor side porch. I could sit out there with a book all day!

The magnolias were beautiful!

Another shot of their porch on the 2nd floor. I guess people from the original family still live in this house - they occupy the entire 3rd floor (the museum is on the 1st and 2nd floors). Crazy.

On the "piazza" - the 1st floor porch (right under the picture above), a few of the columns show you what USED to be there. Very cool that they didn't fix it - it's neat to see the history of something.

Here are some other mansions on the battery - look at this huge one!

These mansions were just so grand, with the ocean breeze blowing and palmetto trees....aaaaah!

I want a huge door with rounded tops!

Wow - these are nicer than the White House! I love the rounded balconies on this one.....

This one was right across the street from the park with all of the Civil War monuments - right at where East Battery and South Battery meet.

I seriously could've looked at these houses all day long (if it weren't so hot and humid!)......

No comments: