.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~Robert Frost

Friday, June 10, 2011

Charged Battery

One of the places we visited in Charleston was "The Battery". It was at the end of the peninsula that borders the open ocean. There were a ton of mansions that lined the street along the battery and then there was a huge park with monuments as well. From this shoreline, you can see Fort Sumter, where the Civil War began!

Here are some canons on display in the park....

Yep, we're definitely in the Battery!

In addition to Fort Sumter, Fort Moultrie is there as well. I won't bore you with all the history, but rest assured that there is plenty! This place is OLD - like Revolutionary War OLD!

This is a beautiful gazebo in the battery park - there were rumors about people being hanged here, but I have no idea if that's true....

I just thought all of this southern history was just in the movies - it's for real down there! This monument was erected by the Daughters of the Confederacy.

A memorial for the Confederate soldiers who defended Charleston harbor...

And here is the statue/monument that it is displayed on.....

Way off in the distance is Fort Sumter.....

This place definitely knows how to commemorate the Confederate soldiers!

Beautiful statue/memorial....

I thought this was interesting - a pile of cannonballs!

No comments: