When I got back from Canton about a week ago, I had several new decorations that I wanted to hang, so I went to my toolbox and got my hammer and nails out......but every time I look at the hammer I have, I think of where I come from.
Why, you ask? Because a while ago, my Mom gave both my sister and I an old hammer each. She said that both hammers belonged to our grandpas (she wasn't sure which hammer went with which grandpa) and we each could have one.
Here's mine:

As you can see, it is used, worn and 'broken in' for sure! That's what I love about it. Depending on which grandpa used it, it either was used on a dairy farm in then-rural Rosemount, MN (my Mom's Dad) or it was used in a house in Hopkins, MN near Lake Calhoun close to Minneapolis (my Dad's Dad).

It's old and beat-up, but it sure does the trick as good as any hammer out there. It's solidly built, nice and heavy and I can tell it's been put to good use. It just amazes me that someone I don't even know (both grandpas died before I was born), throughout the childhood of my parents used this very hammer to do projects just like I'm doing now.
I hope there's a an angel in Heaven that's looking down and is proud of me and is helping me complete my home improvement adventures!

I'm sad that I never knew my grandpas - I picture I would've sat like this with them, asking them a million questions had I known them......

And as a tribute to the MASTER at home improvement and fixing/building things - my Dad!! Miss you! (This is him posing in his new garage when they sold the Minneapolis house and bought the house up north on the lake - he was like a kid in a candy store!)
No comments:
Post a Comment