Here he is (chewing on a treat)!
.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~Robert Frost
Monday, December 6, 2010
Family Addition - OWEN!
About a week ago (Sunday, November 28th to be exact), I adopted a sweet baby wiener dog into our family! I ended up naming him Owen (after much agonizing over this name choice - 2nd place name was Milo) and he fits the name. He just turned one year old, and he's very much like Miss Maggie in looks and personality.
Here he is (chewing on a treat)!
He's at a great stage because he's past the puppy stage of chewing on everything and getting into everything, but he's still a pup in the sense of having big ears and paws, being super soft and kind of a mushy composition. He is somewhat potty trained and he's getting better and better every single day. He barked a lot when I first brought him home, but hardly makes a sound - unless Maggie and him are playing and then they are making weird sounds all the time!
I got him from a rescue group called Dachshund Lovers of Texas (woohoo!!) and he was being fostered up in Plano - about an hour away, but still in the DFW Metroplex. I took Maggie up there to the foster house and we introduced the dogs and they played right away. And Owen (he was named Cory at the time) jumped right up in my lap and gave me kisses (to the shock of his foster Mom). I knew right away that we would be fast friends.
He is a VERY curious little guy - just like Maggie was/is. I don't think that EVER goes away with dachshunds. He is 100% stereotypical dachshund and I love that - the good more than the bad. :)
And this is Maggie and Owen on that first afternoon - taking a nap together! They usually will sleep end-to-end, like in this picture. Even in my bed they sleep like that. In this picture, that's Maggie's 'end' and then Owen's head. So sweet! They wore themselves out!
Two hot dogs in a bun (my legs) - Owen had a lot of excitement that day - starting the day at his foster Mom's house, playing with Maggie, a long car ride, a trip to PetSmart, a bath, more playing with Maggie and then a NAP!
Like little train cars - one in front of the other. Maggie has done a fantastic job of helping me train him and teach him how we operate at our house. His potty skills are even coming from Maggie. When he first arrived, he was lifting his leg and now, a week later, he pretty much squats like Maggie to go potty. So funny!
They are avid players and they wrestle, chase each other like crazy at a million miles an hour, fight over toys, hide from each other and then POUNCE, but at the end of the day, they snuggle and take a nap together. *Perfection* That is exactly what I hoped would happen when I introduced a second dog, a buddy and companion for my Maggie-girl.
This is them hanging out with me on the 2nd or 3rd day that I had him. They just laid there next to each other and fell asleep eventually - so sweet!
They look so much alike - it's weird!!
Maggie is in the green collar and Owen is in the blue collar.

Then Owen wanted to sleep, so he shoved his face under the armrest (so uncomfortable!). Sweet!
Here he is (chewing on a treat)!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
OH YAY! Congratulations Lauri!!! I am so happy for you and Owen is SO CUTE!
What a cutie! I think Maggie has found a friend for life. Thanks for sharing the new pics.
Yeah! How much fun (and work!!) but they are so cute in the pics where they are sleeping next to each other! cl
Post a Comment