.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~Robert Frost

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Love Me Some Gruene

For Mayce's bachelorette party, we trekked south to Gruene. I had been to Gruene by myself once before (passing through it on the way back from seeing my Mom down in Harlingen about a year and a half ago).

It's very Texas-y - check out this awesome cactus in the parking lot!

This is my favorite picture that I was able to take while there - the Grist Mill and the famous Gruene water tower. Both are landmarks in the town.

We were going to hang out at Gruene Hall (the oldest dancehall in Texas) after the Grist Mill, but it was FREAKING packed and the band that was playing wasn't even a country band (so I wouldn't have been able to 2-step). We decided to go back to Ruben's house and hang out with Mayce's brother who came up from San Antonio to see her.

The picture above is the famous front of Gruene Hall and the picture below is a grainy one, but it's the side of it. Contrary to common sense, there is no A/C in there - it's all open air, just windows and fans. So, since it was probably still 95 degrees at 10pm that night and there were a billion people in there, we decided to skip going inside.

Side note - George Strait (King George, as he is known in Texas) got his start in Gruene Hall. The picture on his first album cover was shot in the front of Gruene Hall!! (below)

Here is a historic building in Gruene that still has the town's namesake on the side.

Hell yeah!

Gotta love it!

That's what we were doin'!

True dat!

Here's a couple shots of the front bar area of Gruene Hall during the day (we stopped back during the day on the way back to Dallas the next morning).

There was a little band playing during the day - I guess they have live music every day of the week - so cool!

No comments: