This past weekend I learned something new about homeownership - the specifics of a chimney and its use! Since it's hotter than hell here, I figured it was time to start thinking about having fires in the fireplace - all nice and cozy, right? WRONG. Well, partly. I was thinking that since my home inspection in April when I bought the house indicated that the chimney needed to be cleaned before it was safe to have a fire, I thought I would get that taken care of in the 'off-season' so I would be ready when the urge for a fire hit me this fall. This proved to be a great idea and they were able to come out the next day after I called since no one in their right mind is thinking about their chimney, fireplace or anything creating more heat than we already have down here! Mr. Chimney Sweep, as I affectionately call him, arrived on Saturday morning with all of his chimney cleaning equipment (by the way - he kept all the instruments that were on long sticks in a golf bag!!) and got to work. He did a quick, clean, fabulous job and was a great conversationalist. Maggie also loved him and I found out later why that was.......he is a wiener dog owner too!! Maggie can just tell a good person when she sniffs one. :) Anyway, I digress...when Lon was done with his 'sweeping' of my chimney, he gave me lots of tips on reducing smoke, starting fires (but I already knew that stuff since I was a Girl Scout and I grew up camping and starting fires every single weekend), preventing damage to the inside of the chimney, airflow, etc. etc. etc. He was a great resource and I am not only ready for a fire when it finally cools down here, but I'm also smarter about chimney skills!Now I just need to go buy one of those poker things...............(Sidenote - that would also make a good defense weapon if someone broke in my house......)
1 comment:
Until it gets cold out, just sit a candle in the fireplace some night, and it will feel just like the great white north again :).
Post a Comment