On Saturday, I turned 31 and spent the day with my friend Mayce in historic downtown Grapevine. We shopped in a whole bunch of cute stores and shops and had lunch (I saw my first pickled okra, but that's a whole different blog post).
A big thank you and shout out to Mayce's Mom, Terri who bought us lunch for my birthday!! I appreciate it and I hope to visit you soon!
After lunch, Mayce and I came upon a little cement 'building' if you would even call it that. It looked a little bit like an igloo (or maybe that was just my wishful thinking since it was 106 degrees that day) and it turns out that it was a tiny little jail that they built in 1909 (8' x 10' x 8')!! Can you believe it? So, like any good tourist, I made Mayce participate in a picture to commemorate our discovery. She was a good sport and gave in to my tourist request. :)

Next up on the weird-creepy-intriguing things we saw that day was a funeral home with a little mini encased funeral museum of sorts next to the funeral home. Now, for those that know of my biggest irrational fear (dead bodies!), this discovery was alarming, disgusting, intriguing and scary all at the same time. So I had to get closer to see what might be in a funeral home museum! I didn't take pics of everything in there because there were 2 child/infant caskets and I thought they were too morbid/sad to take pictures of and also there was an open medical case with all of the embalming tools from about 1850 in there. TOO gross to display on a blog. Also - don't get offended by the Confederate flag on top of the casket in one of the pictures - this was a "hearse" from the Civil War era, so it was very normal to have a confederate soldier with that flag over the casket. It's not some redneck statement that they are trying to make....Here are the creepy pics!



At one of the antique booths, there were cut up license plates from all over the place and some were cut up in individual letters so you could spell your name or any word with license plate letters - what a unique idea! I personally couldn't find a "U" so I couldn't buy the letters to spell my name, much to my disappointment. However, I found this rusted up "Texas" from an old license plate and I made it into a fridge magnet!
A big thank you and shout out to Mayce's Mom, Terri who bought us lunch for my birthday!! I appreciate it and I hope to visit you soon!
After lunch, Mayce and I came upon a little cement 'building' if you would even call it that. It looked a little bit like an igloo (or maybe that was just my wishful thinking since it was 106 degrees that day) and it turns out that it was a tiny little jail that they built in 1909 (8' x 10' x 8')!! Can you believe it? So, like any good tourist, I made Mayce participate in a picture to commemorate our discovery. She was a good sport and gave in to my tourist request. :)
At one of the antique booths, there were cut up license plates from all over the place and some were cut up in individual letters so you could spell your name or any word with license plate letters - what a unique idea! I personally couldn't find a "U" so I couldn't buy the letters to spell my name, much to my disappointment. However, I found this rusted up "Texas" from an old license plate and I made it into a fridge magnet!
1 comment:
Glad you had fun!
Side note, CAN'T believe you did anything remotely dead-bodyish on your bday.
Post a Comment