.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~Robert Frost

Monday, May 18, 2009

Tickle Those Ivories?

For about the last 6 months or so, I have had a nagging feeling that I need to start playing the piano again. I started in 4th or 5th grade and played for almost 10 years. I took lessons and had a great teacher (even though I had to force myself to practice - sometimes it was such a chore). However, by the time I left for college, I was SO done with it.

When my parents sold the house in Minneapolis and retired up at the lake, they sold the piano and that chapter of my life was over. Since then, I really haven't missed it, even though I have fond memories of the recitals and the fun songs I learned (Little Mermaid songs, John Lennon, pop songs, etc.). One of my favorite memories of playing is when I went with a group of my teacher's students and we played on a grand piano in the middle of Ridgedale Mall in Minnetonka! The other favorite memory I have is doing a duet with my teacher at our annual recital. It was a really fast, hard song and we aced it!

Anyway, for some reason, over the years, I saved all of my music - ALL of it. So the million times I have moved, that music came with me each time. I guess there was a reason I didn't get rid of it. I want to pick up this hobby again! I have a friend who is in a band, and he recommended a few different brands of keyboards that would be good and I plan to buy a used on on craigslist or ebay this summer. It will be a fun activity to do inside since it is the icky hot season here in Texas.

I can't wait!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would love to restart playing the piano too. My parents said I could have the piano that I used to play on but for some reason I wish it to fly here but nothing is happening. Good luck and I will keep you posted on my progress. Maybe we could have a concert together at the local town hall. :) LOL!

Janis said...

If you buy an electronic keyboard make sure you buy a full size keyboard. My exchange student made the mistake of buying a smaller one without the full array of keys and hated it.