.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~Robert Frost

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Battle of Flowers Parade!


One of the much anticipated parts of my trip to San Antonio was the Battle of Flowers parade. This is an integral part of FIESTA and is a big deal - they even cancel school on Friday of that weekend each year so the kids can attend the parade and celebrate.
We had some seats along the street to watch the parade and thankfully, the sun hid behind the clouds so it didn't get too hot! I thought the parade was great!
Here are those beautiful Budwesier Clydesdale horses! I love them!



A mariachi band and dancers on a float:

A rodeo-themed float - LOVE it!

Pretty flowers...

Ummmm...a Hawaiian float??? It was cool-looking!

And a geisha/asian float - just what I would expect to see in San Antonio.....hahaha

And here is a float that has some of the coronation girls. Right after FIESTA each year, applications are taken to be in the 'court' at coronation for the next year. The dresses are commissioned right away after FIESTA so that they can be ready for next year. The 'trains' on the dresses are hand-beaded and are very heavy and labor-intensive. They are also very expensive and the financial commitment you are making by applying to be one of those girls is $40,000+. INSANE!

While they are on the float, the girls are actually not 'attached' to these massive beaded trains. It would be too heavy!

It was a fabulous parade and we had lots of fun!

2 comments:

Iris Took said...

Cool! Can I call these floats or are they "pontoons on wheels" heehe?

All Things Red said...

You could call them "land rafts" since you prefer that term over "pontoons"! hahaha!