.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~Robert Frost

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Clear Conscience

Last week I made the trek up to Flower Mound to go to the JC Penney Outlet Store after work (it's a 40-mile trek, but my work is halfway there, so I always try to go after work) to look for a new vacuum and some cute summer shirts (since summer starts in like April here).
Things are SO inexpensive there and I just love it! I found some fabulous new towels for my guest bathroom (now that it's blue/yellow), a great new RED vacuum, and a bunch of shirts and 2 pairs of jeans. OK, that's a lot of stuff.
Well, when the cashier was scanning all of the items, he missed a shirt that was in the pile (I had folded them and stacked them while I was waiting in line - to save time). Well, I guess 2 of the shirts looked similar and he grabbed both of them, not seeing that it was 2 shirts. So after he did that, he finished all of the rest of the scanning and told me my total. This whole time, the 2 little voices on my shoulders (the one with a halo and the one with horns) were screaming at each other (just let it go - it's was his fault that he missed that shirt!........be honest - tell him he made a mistake and missed scanning that other shirt!).
Well, ladies and gentlemen......honesty prevailed. Right before he told me my total, I informed him that he missed a shirt and that it didn't get scanned (it was $9.99). He thanked me for telling him and he scanned it, I paid for my stuff and dragged it out to my car. I would have loved to save $9.99 (plus tax - there's tax on clothes here! YUCK! I miss Minnesota!), but I kept thinking that every time I wore that particular shirt, I would've remembered that I knowingly had 'stolen' it by not informing the cashier about his mistake.
YAY - I made the right choice and my conscience prevailed!

1 comment:

Iris Took said...

I would have done the same thing- and then been annoyed that I had done it.

Good for you!