.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~Robert Frost

Friday, May 22, 2009

Personality Doubt


Is it possible for your personality to change over time? I think so. Lately, I have been thinking a lot about who I am and what I am. I think my personality has ALWAYS been one of logical, rational thinking, organization, etc. However, I am also a very emotional person - things affect me deeply, both good and bad. I see the world in a fairly black and white way, even though there are billions of gray areas (which leads to confusion and frustration for me). I see the world with a set of rules and when people ignore the rules or don't follow them, I get discouraged and lose faith in people in general. It is just not fair that some people follow the rules and then ultimately have to pay for the people who don't. And I know, "Life's not fair" - I heard it a million times from my Mom growing up. But it is very hard for me to let things go when I think there is injustice!
Also, I feel like I am becoming more of an introvert as my life progresses. I am alone most of the time (since I live alone and I am somewhat isolated at work) and that has taken its toll on me over the years since my divorce. I don't know if it's a bad thing or just an observation? Also, in the past 5 years I have 'started over' by myself in a new state twice, so you do a lot by yourself (shopping, going out to eat, movies, projects, etc.) during those transitions. I have gotten used to it, but I thought I was just 'enduring' those alone times. Now that I have made friends and am around people more.......it kind of freaks me out sometimes! It's almost like I have a very hard time integrating back into the 'land of the living' around people! WHAT?! I can't figure out if I just prefer to spend a lot of time alone now, or if it's just that I'm so used to it and now I'm trying to change back into being around people more and it's a hard transition??
I have found that now when I'm in crowds or just a large group with church, etc., I feel uncomfortable - like it's too chaotic and I get lost in the crowd and don't feel connected. I tend to seek out one-on-one time with people or small groups where everyone gets a chance to talk and learn about each other. It seem that in big groups, you have a couple people who just kind of take over the talking and 'entertain' the crowd. I find myself very annoyed when I'm around somebody who has this insatiable need to have all the attention - they totally monopolized the conversation and draw attention back to themselves over and over like a 3-year-old showing off. That just sends me up a wall these days. They will drone on and on about their kids or some other topic of their choosing and they don't ever stop and ask about anyone else. I sit there in the group thinking "Am I the only person here that thinks that that's ANNOYING and childish? I gotta get OUT of here!"
I was kind of hoping that I would GAIN more patience as I went through different things in my life, but it just hasn't happened. I hate to admit it, but I think I'm growing more IMpatient over time. I don't like that about myself, but it feels like a steamroller that cannot be stopped! Agh! I know that people change over time and that is affected by their age, lifestyle, life circumstances, friends, etc. I am just worried that if I don't get back into "people" mode, I'll be living with a wiener dog on a remote island pretty soon! It's just weird to me how some people in my life seem not to have really changed over many years' time and I feel like I've been on a roller coaster ride and am very different from the person I was in college (and a lot of that change was for the good - I've learned SO MUCH in my 20's!).
Thoughts on this anyone???

3 comments:

Iris Took said...

You are the best. Just be you - we all love you for you (whomever that may be!).

PS Crowds are annoying to anyone - don't be too hard on yourself.

April said...

I think everyone is constantly going through changes in their personality. I am not even sure I would say changes as much as I would say adapting. Regardless I think it is completely normal and healthy.

I am sure going through your divorce, move, new job, etc. effected you as well. That is scary for anyone to do and I give you kudos for being so strong.

Just look at this as a new, exciting chapter in your life and go with it. If you feel like being alone - fine, if you feel like hanging out with peeps - fine.

To be honest you are a hard read to me. :) Some times I am not sure if you want to hang out or not. But that is something I am working on - I am trying to understand that not everyone's "friend personality" is like mine. I am an initiator and I expect everyone else to be. If someone is not then I feel like they do not want to be around me. I also like to communicate with my friends a lot and some people are not big communicators.

Bottom line - what you are feeling is normal. I guarantee most people feel this way from time to time but are too chicken to admit it. :) You are a great, intelligent woman so be who you are, accept changes in personality as growth, and roll with it!

p.s. If I am ever the annoying 3rd grader hogging the convo let me know. I tend to do that at social settings when people are not engaging each other. :)

April

All Things Red said...

Hey April -

You are DEFINITELY NOT the annoying-3rd-grader-who-steals-the-show! Not even close! I had a blast on Saturday and it was great to see you again. I want to hang out more. I like you because you are "REAL" and not fake and you just tell it like it is - and you're funny! I thought that the group on Saturday was great - not to big and not too small. Stuff like that is what it's going to take to pull me out of my cocoon!

PS - that Pimpin' Cowgirls picture is awesome and I love it! It will remind me of how we both almost fell on our faces right at that corner!