.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~Robert Frost

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Fish Out Of Water

One of the stops during our tour of the Civil War battlefield at Vicksburg, Mississippi was a museum and the remains of the USS Cairo. She was underwater in the river for about 100 years - from 1864 when she was sunk to 1964 when they pulled her back up.

Here is a blown up picture of how she looked back in the war....

And this is her now - you can tell what is new restoration and what is the original rotted wood!

I'm not sure if the cannons are original, but I'm guessing they were put in the correct locations to make it historically accurate.

New wood on top, original wood on the bottom. Crazy.

Looking down the barrel.....glad I'm on this side and not the receiving end!

You could go onto the boat and everything - it was so neat. And they put that dome/tent over it, so it wasn't as hot.....

The curved wood was just beautiful.....

Look at that fancy curved wood - just amazing!

Ummmm.....ok. I guess.

Lots of gears connected to each other - ah, the mind of an engineer (I do NOT have one of those, BTW).

I wasn't that into the boat when we first walked up to it, but this was just so neat!

When the boat was in its entirety, the sides would be covered with iron to fend off attacks.

Here it is partially covered....

And here's the end that is totally covered to show you what it would've looked like.

No comments: