
Since I have never toured a Civil War battlefield before, I didn't know what to expect.....but I was pleasantly surprised at the battlefield in Vicksburg, Mississippi. It's a drive-through path and there are sights to see along the way and you can get out of your car and look around wherever you want. Here's the entrance 'gate'.....

It is a very big place - here's our map to figure out what is what......

And this is the path into the heart of the battlefield.......

Gotta honor the fallen soldiers.....not too many fans of the Union down here......

And I HAD to get a picture of this fantastic monument for personal reasons.....

This one is dedicated to the fallen soldiers from MINNESOTA!

All of the BLUE signs were UNION and the RED ones were CONFEDERATE. So this is a Union trench - literally. It's amazing how the topography of the land still remains today - it is definitely still shaped like a trench, even after 150 years.

Red = Confederate

Blue = Union

These cannons were at the end of a huge open field - they were all in a line.....


And to honor my time in Ohio, I had to get a picture of this one.............

The park was absolutely beautiful - and the hills, trenches, etc. were still the same from all those years ago. It's surreal to think that this peaceful place was once a war zone - literally.
No comments:
Post a Comment