.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~Robert Frost

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Celebrating the Land of Lincoln

During our tour of the Civil War battlefield at Vicksburg, Mississippi, we came across a VERY elaborate memorial for the state of Illinois. Makes sense - Lincoln was from Illinois, after all. Here it is:

There were grand stairs going up to it, but I wasn't prepared for how beautiful it was going to be inside!

It kind of resembled the rotunda of a state capitol building or something. Very neat.

Here's a view from the middle of the floor out the front door.

The mosaic of the state seal of Illinois was absolutely amazing. I love mosaics anyway, but this one was extremely well done.

The entire floor was just stunning.

Of course, honoring Lincoln and General Grant.....

And this wasn't just a monument - the walls were covered in names and battle details.....and look at the designs on the floor - the gold areas were mosaic too.

They listed every single minute detail about the battles and all names. Just amazing...

What a surprise to find such detail and beauty in one little rotunda on an old battlefield!

Kudos to Illinois - you did a great job on your memorial dome!

No comments: