.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~Robert Frost

Monday, January 10, 2011

Manners

I was just thinking about random things the other day and I came upon a subject that caught my attention. Kids these days have less manners than in my generation and definitely before my time. It's just a fact. Parents today seem to be raising the "me" generation (some more than others, of course).

In my day, there were just things you were taught as 'manners' and they were not negotiable, and always expected, at least in my Mom's home!

Here are a few:
  • Handwritten thank you cards for gifts (even to relatives)
  • Don't start eating until everyone has been served their food at the table
  • When invited somewhere, always offer to bring something or help
  • If someone else (other than you) is paying the electric bill, then shut things off when you're not using them (my Dad was a SPAZ about this one)
What are yours from your childhood???

1 comment:

Iris Took said...

Say please and thank you.

Arrive on time.

Address adults as Mr. or Mrs.

Always use a person's name and not a pronoun. Mom is MOM and not SHE.

Eye contact.

Uh-huh is not a response. The response is yes or no thank you.

If you are sick from school, you are sick from extra-curricular activities.

LOVE THIS POST!

The Babe and The Mustache had rules, you better believe it.