I saw this quote on a friend's Facebook status and I just loved it. How true it is! I used to think that if someone was older than me, then they must be wiser or smarter than me. This has proven to NOT be the case in many instances. And I also must distinguish between 'book smarts' and 'common sense wisdom' because they are two COMPLETELY different things.
When I read this quote, I immediately thought of wrinkles. Weird, huh? It's probably because I have heard quotes similar to this one that talk about how you should try to eliminate or hide your wrinkles as you age - but they are a part of your life, of who you are and where you've been! I subscribe to that philosophy - and that's one of the reasons I didn't change my name back to my maiden name after my divorce too. I felt like if I changed it back, then I would be denying that that part of my life happened. It definitely DID happen - the good, the bad and everything in between. It changed me - some for the better, some for the worse - but it shifted my composition and I'm now a different human being because of it. I compare it to the couples who choose to get their marriage annulled when they have children together! WHAT?! It's like you're asking the court to say that your marriage never happened - so then are you saying your kids never happened either??
Whenever something crazy or hard happens to me, I just say "Now I'll have some exciting stories to tell my grandkids." I don't know if I will have grandkids of my own, but I'll tell someone! I've made a few bold decisions in my life and they ended up being the best decisions I've ever made. Two that come to mind are studying abroad in Spain during college and moving to Texas by myself. They are nothing that special to the general public, but they were HUGE for me - because I like to plan, know what's going to happen, and predict how things are going to be, but for these two decisions I had to take a BIG leap of faith and hope for the best. That's not to say that either were easy all the time - quite the contrary. Both of them really stretched me and tested what I was made of for sure! But I would do both again in a heartbeat.
Lately I have been feeling like I'm in a rut and I'm getting restless or bored - like life is passing me by in a way. There are goals that I would like to achieve and I am going to work on those, but I want to 'feel alive' and be challenged, so I feel like God has a BOLD 'something' coming for me - I am watching for it because I need more exciting stories to tell my grandkids! Bring on the wrinkles - I will have earned them!
No comments:
Post a Comment