Well, since I have never had this many massages in this short of time (3 of them in 3 months), I guess I never noticed patterns in how I feel after a massage. But now I do....for instance, most people who get massages are told to drink a ton of water after the treatment, in order to flush out the toxins that the therapist released by working your muscles. Pretty basic. You will even physically feel like you are sore the next day - like you were working out and your muscles are kind of achy. Got it.
But I am also noticing that I am an emotional wreck for up to 2 days after my massages. I have heard in the past that some people cry during a massage, but I had never experienced that before.....until now. I didn't cry in my recent massage, but for the last two, I have cried on the way home, despite my body feeling wonderful. I am just on the verge of tears every minute during the day or so after the massage, and I'm crabby, sad, depressed, anxious, etc. How could this be after having such a therapeutic, wonderful, relaxing massage (and I get a deep tissue massage - very intense and sometimes painful, but it's a good pain - lots of breathing, kinda feels like physical therapy for part of it!)?? Now I'm starting to wonder if the 'toxins' that are released from the muscles aren't just physical toxins, but emotional baggage that I've been storing up as well. For the most part, my monthly massage is the only physical touch that I experience (except for cuddling with my dog, Maggie), so maybe that is what is evoking such an emotional response? I'm just not sure and it makes me worried if I'm keeping that much trapped sad emotion in my body all the time. I guess it's good to get it out often with a massage, but it has got to be affecting me negatively to have that in my system all the time..........Anyone have any input on this subject??

Here's a blog post from a Licensed Massage Therapist (Sierra Kennedy, LMP) who talks about this very thing:
Massage Blues - What happens after a massage?
By sierra on Jun 6, 2007 in healthly living, Deep Tissue, Massage
I just had a new client come in and tell me that after every massage she’s ever gotten, she’s felt crappy the next day. I responded to her with this:
It rather depends on what it means to you to feel “crappy” because it is true that massage often leaves one feeling tired or worn out. Many people say that the next day - a deep massage will feel like they worked out the day before.
Even very “light” techniques like Cranio-Sacral (which I am getting certified in this year - yay!) and Reiki can leave a person feeling emotionally and physically “crappy” as well.
A classic Swedish massage is like 7 miles of hiking to the circulatory system because of all the stuff that gets all loosened up during the massage. Later on, all that released lactic acid, waste products, chemicals and “other” just get processed out of the body for the next day.
During deep tissue - deep pressure is applied to sore spots and so the area can feel sore and “worked”.
It is a common concern how the body feels, reacts and how the emotional state of a body will be after receiving massage. It is very common to have the experience of cold-like symptoms, fatigue, irritability and even crying or emotional release after the massage.
I always suggest to my clients that they drink water - lots of water - the following 24 hours after their massage. That way the circulation of fluids and the healing process, in general, is helped along because it dilutes and flushes the entire system.
It is often a good idea to avoid coffee, alcohol and heavy greasy foods after a massage.
Always check in with yourself after a massage, for emotional disturbance. I find the most common “emotional” stuff that comes up after a massage is just irritability and sadness for no reason. This is totally natural. It’s just the combination of the chemicals and hormones that were sitting in your tissue that have been released to be cleaned out AND the emotions that may have been “stored” in places that were released and relaxed during the massage.
If you ever have issues after a massage, call your massage practitioner. They know what’s going on and they will have the information to help you understand what’s happening.
Don’t let the downside of massage keep you from getting one. The freedom from pain, pattern and holding is far worth the 24 to 36 hours of slight discomfort that comes after a massage.
11 comments:
I never feel this bad after a massage. Maybe I have never had that intense of a massage.
Being a Massage Therapist I believe that a good cleansing can also include emotional garbage. Just be and let it release. Don't analyze it. You have had some traumatic events in your life and maybe it is just time to let go and let God. Massage is healing for the body and the mind.
After my first massage, I cried for two solid days. I didn't feel sad, but I couldn't stop crying. I get massages frequently, having learned that much of my "thinking" is done somewhere in my body not in my "mind" perse. They are more closely linked than most of us realize. At that time I had an unresolved problem with my brother. I ended up naming a knot in my shoulder after him! When I had dealt with the situation, the knot was gone. Massage is an important part of my life because of these mysterious resolutions.
I have been having massage for many years. For the past two years I started to become extremely depressed for 2/3 days afterwards and very tired to the point of not being able to get out of bed the day following my session. It has been puzzling me so I googled for an explanation which took me to your blog. Thank you Red Daisy that I have found an answer. I have noticed that the depression subsides after a huge sigh of relief that just happens unintentional from my system. According to what I have read here it means that the locked emotional toxin is released. But to be honest I am considering to stop completely having a massage. What I want to achieve out of a massage is peace and tranquility. If I want stocked energy release then I’ll go for that specific therapy. The bouts of depression that I go through each time is unbearable and too much for me to handle. Thank you so much
Very interesting. I will be following your blog for sure. If anyone is looking for free massages in soCal this place is great. they are students in training but i couldnt tell....they fill quick so i would hurry though http://www.facebook.com/restfree
wow, it is nice to see I am not the only one having negative side effects from massage. I have had many massages over the years and truthfully never noticed any mood/emotional after effects. A bit sleepy but that all.
I have a knot in my neck next to my spine and extreme tightness at the base of skull. I have a very in tune therapist and she worked me very hard yesterday. OMG, by the time she finished I was super dizzy and nausea (for hours after). I fell asleep when I got home and had a lot of trouble waking up.
Next morning and throughout the day, I am so grumpy and depressed it is unbearable. All I want to do is sleep. It is like a super bad PMS.
So I am drinking a lot of water and trying to stay calm and just relax.. I am also stretching as much as I can. Next time I will tell her to take it real easy. I dont want this emotional upheaval if I can help it.
wow, it is nice to see I am not the only one having negative side effects from massage. I have had many massages over the years and truthfully never noticed any mood/emotional after effects. A bit sleepy but that all.
I have a knot in my neck next to my spine and extreme tightness at the base of skull. I have a very in tune therapist and she worked me very hard yesterday. OMG, by the time she finished I was super dizzy and nausea (for hours after). I fell asleep when I got home and had a lot of trouble waking up.
Next morning and throughout the day, I am so grumpy and depressed it is unbearable. All I want to do is sleep. It is like a super bad PMS.
So I am drinking a lot of water and trying to stay calm and just relax.. I am also stretching as much as I can. Next time I will tell her to take it real easy. I dont want this emotional upheaval if I can help it.
I recently had a traditional Thai massage in Thailand on my honeymoon with my husband in the next partician so I was in a very happy state of mind. Halfway through as she was doing my middle back it became quite painful and I started feeling a bit nauseous and weepy. I tried to calm myself by chanting 'ohm'. By the time the massage was over, I had used so much energy trying not to cry that I was a complete mess and broke down for quite some time. After that I was very vague, could barely talk or think properly and was very cold despite the temp being very hot. It took over an hour to 'come back' and then i slept for ages. I have had many massages of all kinds but this experience has put me off anyone ever going near my back again. I look forward to my appointment with a local massage therapist and healer tomorrow to hopefully help me understand what may have happened....
I am currently in massage school and I am usually very tense and have a hard time relaxing. I don't talk about my baggage(problems, anxiety) and after practicing with a classmate I came home and cried for a good part of the night. I wonder if the toxins have an emotional or mental effect. I guess I needed to cry..I'm sure I'll learn more about this in class later on. Does anyone have insight on this?.....
I got Thai massage last night (and have been doing so every 4 to 6 weeks for over a year). I feel the depression. It does go away. The first day after is so rough, though. Feeling it right now. Glad to find this blog through a search for what was bothering me. Sorry you all feel this, too.
I had a deep tissue massage with detox aromatherapy 3 days ago. The detox sounded good when offered since I had consumed wine the night before. When done I felt dizzy and nauseous. My muscles were very week to the point of shaky. I went home and got in bed and drank lots of fluid and took ibuprofen. It was aweful!! Finally started feeling better the next morning. I am glad to see that I am not the only one have negative side effects from a massage. I normally have a swedish massage with firm pressure so maybe I should go back to that and also skip the detox aromatherapy.
Post a Comment