Lately, it seems that everything is breaking in my life! I just broke my phone recently (dropped it too many times - I guess that's my fault....) and my diswasher (my 24-year-old dishwasher) is broken. The dishwasher COULD be fixed, but whoever tiled my kitchen prior to me living there, effectively tiled the dishwasher into its space with no good way to get it out to fix it. The only options are to rip up the tile or to rip off the countertop! I hate the countertop that I have - cheap stuff that has seen better days....so my conclusion was that I would just use my tax credit and buy a new dishwasher, countertops and kitchen sink. UGH.


Sooooo.....that's where all of you readers that are homeowners come in! I am looking for advice, tips, don't-do's, definitely-do's or horror stories with this type of project/purchase. I'm going to begin getting estimates from Home Depot and Lowe's just to get a ballpark idea of the cost and options, but I'm also going to try and find smaller places that might be cheaper....
Any input??? HELP!!!!

5 comments:
The darker granite comes from China (typically) and is generally less expensive. The lighter stuff often times comes from Italy and can cost more.
The Demi-Bullnose edge makes the granite look thicker or "chunkier". The Ogee edging is a more eligant look, but generally costs a little more. The type of edge cut is sold per linear foot.
Be sure to get an undermount sink.
Girl! You are an awesome writer! I'm giving up my day job to you! I will tell you that we have light (beige) laminate counter tops and while they look nice, they are a witch to keep clean. Everything I lay on them rubs off and I have to break out the soft scrub to get it off. Ick! Go granite or solid surface if you can!
One thing if you have a lot of straight edges and not a huge amount of space to cover is to consider going to granite places or places that do both granite and a different solid surfact (we have Silestone in our bathroom) and see if they have remnant pieces. Cheaper than a full slab if you don't need it. We did this in our bathroom.
Post a Comment