.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~Robert Frost

Sunday, February 24, 2008

ALERT!! SECURITY BREACH AT THE AIRPORT!!


I had a crazy adventure at the Detroit airport today - I was minding my own business, following all procedures to get through security (liquids separated in quart-size bag, shoes off, laptop out, jewelry off, jacket off, allowing female TSA employee to pat me down because I was wearing a sweatshirt that could've been hiding weapons, drugs and other contraband) and everything was going great - I was ahead of schedule and even had time to grab Quizno's for lunch before my plane was supposed to board. So I got lunch, went to my gate and sat down to eat. Mid-sandwich, the security alarms go off and they announce that there was a security breach in the airport and that all planes at gates had to de-plane, all passengers in the gates, concourses, bathrooms, restaurants, etc. had to leave the area immediately and go back through the security process. So everything turned kind of chaotic since the planes were emptying back into the concourse and the area was flooded with irritated and worried people. We were all herded back to the check in area of the airport and got in a line that one man estimated to be about 300 yards as of where we were in line - it was circled around the inside of the airport 3 layers deep. Apparently the metal detectors at the security checkpoints weren't actually detecting metal and so in the name of national security, they had to evacuate EVERYONE. The bomb-sniffing dogs were out in full force (they were so cute!) and had to sweep every single plane at the gates and then had to sweep all of the concourses. They were busy pups!! So they waited a while and fixed the metal detector and then started the security process for about 3 hours worth of flights. AGH! But I was in line with 4 retired school principals that were flying to Tampa to see the Detroit Tigers at training camp. They were so much fun that we almost forgot we were really annoyed. Eventually, we all got through the security checkpoint and on our flights - only took off 1.5 hours late - not bad for how long the lines were! Everything went great after that.
For ONCE in my life, I would like to compliment the TSA employees for stepping up to the plate and rushing TONS of people through the security checkpoing while still maintaining order and checking bags and people thoroughly. Kudos!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I could have given you a better (real life) photo. LOL

Lottie

Iris Took said...

NIGHTMARE! Glad you made it!