.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~Robert Frost

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

A Case Of POP & A Pair Of Choppers

My friend Holly sent me this picture and I think it's hilarious since I am constantly in the battle of "pop" versus "coke" down here - and then you throw in those that call it "soda" and you have a real beverage debate! I have NO idea why I think regional vocabulary is so interesting, but I'm absolutely intrigued by it - as well as regional accents. LOVE it!

I'm having a hayday with Chris since he was born and raised until age 10 or so in Pennsylvania (YANKEE!!) and then moved to Alabama to live out the rest of his childhood and college years. So he has an east coast-ish accent with southern habits and vocabulary. He also lived in Wisconsin and Michigan for a while, so he 'gets' the northern/midwest thing too. He has experienced the hellishly cold temps in Wisconsin, but also thinks that the sun rises and sets with sweet tea! haha! Gotta love it.

I guess I've made it one of my hobbies to find out where people are from and then talk about the similarities/differences in accent, culture and language!

1 comment:

LTL said...

Ah, sweet tea. Tell Chris he passes my test. I am in heaven now that they have it at McDonald's. They have sweet tea flavored vodka now too. I have never tried it, but have heard that it is pretty darn good.