.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~Robert Frost

Friday, June 27, 2008

...Barbecue Stain On My White T-shirt...

This week, my friend from work Mayce (the one who's Dad is a real cowboy in west Texas) and I went out to lunch and I asked her to take me to a place that has real authentic Texas barbecue food. And low and behold, in the center of corporate America - Coppell, Texas - there is a place called Hard 8 and man, was it ever authentic! You walk up to the restaurant and there's a guy outside grilling all kinds of meat and you pick out your meat and then take it inside to get the rest of the stuff (a bun, coleslaw, a margarita, whatever.).

Here's a pic of Mayce and I out front at the 'meat guy' station!
Inside, it's exactly what you would expect at a real Texas barbecue place - horse stall doors in the bathrooms, a big bean pot, sweet and unsweetened tea in big barrels with faucet spigets on them - ya know, the regular stuff. hee hee

Here are some more pics (and yes, Mayce was a good sport about me taking pictures in the restaurant and even the bathroom - she wasn't too embarassed). She joked that the very things that I was so excited about were the things/stereotypes that Texans try to escape from - how ironic!!






The last pic of "Waterin' Hole" was just above drinking fountains. Ha! Really, these pictures don't do it justice. It was a one-of-a-kind place that I will take all of my visitors that want this kind of experience. Fun!! And they also have a whole outside area for the night life too. I would like to go back and actually get a margarita - this is no sissy Irving Mexican restaurant - Hard 8 serves Big and Bigger margaritas!! (see the pic below) Woo hoo!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I sure could go for a big, cold glass of sweet tea.

Iris Took said...

....AND WE DO CARE. All things Texas :)

Anonymous said...

I so want to go here when I come to visit!! And I will also take pictures of the bathrooms!
cl